Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Screencast of Flickr tutorial, Ch. 7 and 8.



I had heard a little about Flickr from friends and have seen a couple albums of their family pictures.  I always just thought it was another one of these photo share sites like Kodak or shutterfly where you can upload pictures and have them printed or send albums to friends to view and buy pictures.  After reading Chapter 7, I was pleasantly surprised at some of the features it has and how it can be used in education.  For example, being able to post pictures, share with people across the globe, and have discussions about them is amazing.  As Richardson puts it, it is truly a "social software" where the contributors interact and share and learn from each other in creative and interesting ways.  Being able to share what your students are doing in class with their friends and family anywhere would be great.  I can also see how it is also a powerful tool for amateur photojournalists.  The story about all the images collected from Hurricane Katrina was amazing as well.  Being able to alter the privacy settings to whomever you want to view is very important as well, especially when used in the classroom.   I liked what Richardson says in Chapter 8 about podcasts and how they could help record parts of class that kids could go back and study or even hear for the first time if they had to miss class.  I could see myself using this for projects and such that we do in my classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment