Saturday, May 19, 2012

Shane Robinson

Create a screen cast as your review/post for chapters 7 & 8, audio included.
·         Two minute example that relates to one of the topics in chapter 7 or 8 
·         Post it to the class blog page using the new post tab in the top right hand corner of the class web blog.

Ch. 8 Screencasting
Outline of a script and steps to be taken to create a screencast via Jingproject.com

How to set up and use a screencast via Jingproject.com 
One of the easiest pieces of software per Richardson, not from my experience!
I have chosen to create my screencast of setting up and using Jing to expose classmates to this screencast version as opposed to screenocast which we are all required to create an account for already. This way you can judge if you like it better than screen-o-matic without having to set up an account with Jing account.
1.       I will go to my address bar and enter Jingproject.com
2.       I have to download the software which takes only a couple of minutes(five times at least).
3.       I go to the tab PRODUCTs
4.       Click on free account
5.       Provide an e-mail account, password, screen name, click on sign up tab
6.       Go to my own e-mail address to confirm and activate my screencast page
7.       It will take you to your screencast page and have you put in your password
8.       You will be shown a quick video tutorial of how to use screencast
9.       Upload content of videos preferably go to Bottles for Bowmen and Kans for Kenya folder
10.   Sharing this content with others
11.   Place your icon over the video and click on the three arrows (share content).
12.   Sharing the url is the easiest
13.   Copy and paste this url into an email
14.   Just as a heads up any content left in your root library page is open to the public so learning how to manage this web site and compartmentalize content is crucial.
15.   Create some folders and set privacy levels
16.   Give you folder a name and then check out the privacy settings tab
17.   Hidden is you most practical choice
18.   Click save
19.   Run into trouble check out the help center tab

So my plan was to use my already existing Screencast-O-Matic  account to provide a screencast tutorial on how to use Jingproject.com per our text. My goal was to show how to create and use a jing version of screencast. What I learned is that Jingproject.com is nothing like the text describes.  When I typed jingproject.com into my address bar it actually took me t to http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html where I created an account under screencast.com.  I watched numerous tutorials which were very specific in nature and was unable to find a simple tutorial on how to screencast even though it was advertised how easy it is all over the webpage.

With no success on screencast.com which is in the techsmith.com page which is supposed to be jingproject.com according to the text, I moved on to Screencast-O-Matic . Screen-O-matic seems easy as all I should have to do is click the tab: Start Recording since I already set up and an account and was logged in but when I do, it has a pop up asking me to install Java plug in. I have installed it on five separate attempts to no avail. When I do press Start Recording it states starting up but then never does. Every step leads to a dead end. This should not be this difficult but this is where I am at. Creating a screencast is apparently more elusive than the text states no matter what version I try to use. I hope my classmates are having better luck than I.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Shane! I ended up using quicktime for my screencasting. I had the same trouble as you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im glad to see that you two have been using your brains to work around things. I have used jing and found if quite easy. The uploading to the web was more tricky - when i last used it there was no link to you tube - but it sounds like it's more streamlined now? I have also used audacity and at the time candidates found that it was harder to work. That's actually how we got onto screenomatic. Funny how different tools work for different individuals. Ann Marie has however hit it right, there are many tools one can explore. The key is to find which works best for you and the computer you are working on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shane did you try using a different browser as i suggested in my email?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not to hijack this thread, but I had tried different browsers (Google Chrome and Firefox) and neither one solved the screencast-o-matic Java runtime issue.

    ReplyDelete